Achlada. Achlada is a small village n the greek island of Crete, 18 kilometres northwest of the city of Heraklion. It is located in the hills, the nearest tourist resort is Agia Pelagia (7 km). It is a typical Cretan farming village where most residents are farmers and especially where garden vegetables are harvested. From the village you have an excellent view over land and sea.
The name of the village Achlada is derived from the name 'Achladi "which in Greek means pear. When the first inhabitants of the village were nestling here, there was a big pear tree in the centre of the village, hence the name. In the village a duo-church is located dedicated to St. John and St. Trifon. This church was originally built in the Middle Ages, during the Venetian rule. In the year 1860 the wooden iconostasis was added, that has great beauty and value. Near Achlada are several interesting springs with flowing water from old fountains. One fountain has the year 1746 engraved on it. In Achlada is the traditional “Eco Hotel” of Markos Mourtzanakis. The hotel is very popular among people who love the "real" taste of Crete. People who like to be away from mass tourism and in the middle of a beautiful mountain landscape.
Sights near Achlada
Text: Yorgos and Wendy Nikolidakis - Revised by Maxine van Hoften