Topolia. The Topolia name means' place of olives. " The authentic village Topolia (150 inhabitants) is located approximately 12 km from the town of Kissamos on Crete, about 46 km from Chania city, on the road leading to the southern coast of Crete. The immediate surroundings through Topolia gorge are ideal for beautiful trips and walks, Topolia is close to a beautiful valley full of poplars, chestnut trees and olive trees, the course is built amphitheatrically on a green hill. The village has a bakery, a small supermarket and a kafeneion. In close proximity are good tavernas.
The main attractions of Topolia are:
- The gorge of Topolia is 1500 meters long and in some places the sides are 300 meters high.
- The cave of Agia Sophia in the gorge where stalactites and stalagmites can be seen. Here are objects found from the Neolithic period.
- The villages Kousomatados and the traditional village of Milia.
- The tunnel of Topolia on the slopes of the eponymous gulf
- The Byzantine churches of Agios Theologos, Timios Stavros and Agia Paraskevi
- The village Latziana ( 3 km), where the church of Agia Varvara from the 11th century is located.
Text: Yorgos and Wendy Nikolidakis - Revised by Maxine van Hoften