Feres. Feres is a town in the prefecture of Evros, in the far north-eastern Greece, 28 kilometres from Alexandroupolis and six kilometres west of the river Evros. In Feres live about 6000 inhabitants who are mostly engaged in agriculture stockbreeding. The city is built around the fortified monastery of Panagia Kosmotira which was founded by Byzantine Emperor Isaac Komninos in the 12th century.
Left: Panagia Kosmptira church - Right: village Ardanion at Feres
Photos: Kostas Natsidis
During this period the whole area was called Viros (= areas with marsh and water). The city that was built here around the monastery, originally was given the name Vira. Over the centuries, it fell into the hands of the Crusaders, again the Byzantines and then the Ottomans. In the 15th century it was renamed Ferai (Feres). Since 1919 Feres belongs again to Greece. In 1923 thousands of Greek refugees from Asia Minor came to settle here.