Karditsa - Thessaly (Greece)
Karditsa. Karditsa is one of the four prefectures of the geographical region of Thessaly. It is located in the southwest edge of the Thessaly plain, bordered north by the Trikala prefecture, to the east with the prefectures of Larissa and Fthiotida, south to the prefectures of Aetoloakarnania, Evrytania, Fthiotida and to the west to prefecture Arta. A part of Karditsa is covered with high mountains and mountain ranges, the flat plain of Karditsa is on the northeast located. Among the mountain ranges are narrow valleys, here in these valleys stream some small rivers that flow to the bigger Acheloos river. In this area is the artificial lake of Tavropos located at 1000 meter altitude.
The prefecture of Karditsa is an agricultural area with many meadows, forests and lakes. The most important crops are wheat, cereals, pulses, cotton and vines. In Karditsa is also a very developed animal husbandry, here are mainly cattle, goats, pigs and horses bred. In the prefecture of Karditsa there is a spa, that of Smokovo. Capital of the prefecture is Karditsa town, remarkable towns are also Mouzaki, Sofades and Palamas.
Photo Gallery Thessaly - Photos of Thessaly
more photos of Thessaly»
Sights and tips Karditsa
- Mouzaki: Mouzaki is a slightly larger village which is also the commercial center of the mountainous region of Argithea.
- Mavrommati is the village where the Greek hero Georgios Karaiskakis comes from. You can visit the cave where he was born in 1782.
- Tavropos: A picturesque area with a scenic hiking trail of 40 km. You can walk around the lake and enjoy the beautiful green landscapes.
- In Fanari is the Byzantine fortress from the 13th century. This is the best preserved fortress of west Thessaly and is built on top of a hill.
- In the village Kanalia visit the anthropological museum that is housed in an old traditional house.
- Episkopi, the ruins of the ancient Gomfoi, one of the three major cities that oversaw the passage to the plain
- the monastery of Agia Triada in Drakotrypa (near Mouzaki), where Christians kept hidden during the Turkish occupation.
- The Nikolas Plastiras lake: This is the jewel of the area as well as one of the most beautiful places in Greece.
Weather forecast Karditsa
Average temperature Karditsa
Karditsa in other languages
Karditsa: Where on the map is Karditsa located?
The map of Karditsa - ©GreeceGuide.co.uk