Evrytania - Central Greece (Greece)
Evrytania. Prefecture Evrytania is considered an ideal destination for a holiday in all seasons; it is a mountainous area of breath-taking natural beauty. District Evrytania, which is located in Central Greece, is a true wonder of nature and has very beautiful scenery: mountains with forests, deep valleys, rivers, waterfalls, gorges; everything is beautiful. It is densely wooded and one of the water richest areas of Greece. It is often called "Switzerland" of Greece. It’s a highly recommended destination for travellers seeking natural life.
Evrytania, the most mountainous prefecture of Greece, is also popular in the winter because of the ski resorts. When you come here in the winter, you’ll be surprised to see the beautiful snow-white countryside.
Karpenissi is the capital of the prefecture and is situated at the foot of Mount Timfristos at an altitude of 960 m. The clear atmosphere, the dry healthy climate, sycamore, chestnut and pine trees make Karpenissi an ideal place for summer and winter .
Photo Gallery Central Greece - Photos of Central Greece
more photos of Central Greece»
Sights and tips Evrytania
- Timfristos mountain (2315 m), Kaliakoudas (2101 m), Chelidonas (1975 m).
- The rivers Krikelopotamos, Trikeriotis, Tavropos and Lake Kremasti. The area is ideal for walkers and mountaineers, it can be combined with skiing, kayaking and rafting.
- The village Tripotamo on the eastern shore of Lake Kremasti. The name of the village was formerly Tatarna, that’s also the name of the bridge that connects the prefectures Aetoloakarnania with Evrytania. This bridge is one of the longest bridges in the Balkans.
- the historic Monastery of the Holy Mother Faneromeni in Tripotamo
- the beautiful villages in the forested mountains
- The ruins of the church Agios Leonidas in the village Klapsi
- The Karpenissi ski centre: it is located on Mount Velouchi at an altitude of 1840 meters. It has eleven ski slopes at an altitude ranging from 1800 meters to 2220 meters
- The traditional villages Gorgianades, Korischades, Klafsi, Voutiro, Nostimo, Fidakia and Kalesmeno.
- Forest and folk tradition festivals take place in the summer. There are cultural activities, all kind of festivities, exhibitions, concerts.
Text: Yorgos and Wendy Nikolidakis - Revised by Maxine van Hoften Gee
Weather forecast Evrytania
Average temperature Evrytania
Evrytania in other languages
Evrytania: Where on the map is Evrytania located?
The map of Evrytania